Saturday, April 25, 2009

"In summer, the song sings itself."

Quote from William Carlos Williams, an American poet. He's most famous for his poem "The Red Wheelbarrow" but he did a lot of good poetry.



We are almost at the end.

My staff has held their closing meetings. We're planning the check-out schedule. I've finished spring evaluations. I've met with my staff for next year. Within a few weeks the students will be gone. It's all finally coming full circle.

I find myself being the 'Rookie of the Year' (as my dad put it) and seeing incredible successes where ever I look. I am no longer intimidated by these students and my staff and it finally feels like I am considerably older than them, even if considerably is defined occasionally as only a few years. Next year I will be the leader of my section of campus, being the only full-time returning staff member. What used to frighten me now intrigues me and I can't wait to see what sorts of things will happen in 09-10.

With the nice weather and end of the year approaching the students have increasingly lost their minds. My building is loud all the time, students are outside playing ball, laying out, and acting like idiots, and you can tell that students are prowling around for their end-of-the-year fling. I can't say that I blame them and that I didn't do the same thing when I was their age, but can't they make sure they don't get in trouble in the process?


No comments: