Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Beginning of the End, Part Two

It's officially all done - I've completed my first year as a new professional. All of the students are gone, my paperwork is complete, and there's an overwhelming calming feeling that's come over me. As I walk the halls and look at the plain doors I think about the students that used to live there, and how next year will bring a brand new crew into the building. As much as I complained at times about the noise and the immaturity, they were a good group. We survived without any major issues (to my utter delight, although this convinces me that next year will be horrid), my staff all bonded and became friends with one another (no mutiny occurred!), and I learned an entire new University system in a whole new place.

Through the year I've learned a few pearls of wisdom that should be passed along to those of you who have just completed your degrees and are anxious to get started with a new job:
- Change can be incredibly difficult to handle, but try to remain open minded and you'll be surprised at who you'll meet and what you'll learn.
- Students will constantly try and test you, especially when they think that you're ALSO a student and will therefore let them do what they want.
- Being a new supervisor is a HUGE challenge. Realize that with supervision comes delegation - you no longer have to do everything yourself. Trust in your staff and you will learn right along with them. Be prepared to work with a staff that might be completely different from who you are. Inheriting a staff means that someone who was quite possibly VERY different from you made the hiring decisions. Some staff members will challenge you because they want to show the new guy or girl everything they know, others will just want to show off their leadership abilities and not really know how. Accept this advice/guidance with a grain of salt and know that ultimately what YOU decide is what matters - you are still their boss in the end.
- Maintaining work/life balance is much easier when you don't have school thrown in there as well. Also helpful is having colleagues who are willing to put you in check when necessary. You will lose your mind if you don't take some time for yourself.
- On that same note, try and make friends with coworkers - especially those that have been there for a year or more. They will help show you the ropes of work and also know all the best student-free spots to frequent in town.
- Become involved in your department. Show that you can be a leader in whatever way you can. Form relationships with your superiors that will help you grow as a professional and develop new mentors.
- Try and get to know the graduate students in your department and help them when you can. Realize that there may be a difference between your program and theirs, but in the end you will both be in student affairs and are doing the same job.
- Never underestimate the power of swearing in front of students. It sounds ridiculous, but by showing that you're a "real" person students will actually start to respect you a bit more. Being able to throw around "asshole" and "shit" can give you some street cred that you'll gain no other way.

In the next few months I plan on worrying about no one but myself (a feeling that's escaped me since AUGUST) and loosening the connection that I have with my cell phone (I actually have the ability to turn my phone off now, or leaving it on silent ALL DAY). I want to enjoy a student-free town, take some random vacation trips, and return ready to have a fantastic year and feel energized.

I keep thinking back over the year and trying to identify what I learned about being a professional that was surprising to me, but I can't really think of anything. Maybe it's because I came from a very hands-on, practical based grad program (in contrast from the many theory-based programs that exist) and my careful observation of those that I worked for/with during my time as a student, but I didn't find it very difficult to try and get used to being a full-time employee; work just replaced the time that I had been spending being a student. In some ways it was EASIER than grad life, if only because I had my weekends free and didn't have to worry about juggling my assistantship, class, a second job, and my personal life. The hardest thing for me to get used to was being in residence life again. I still haven't decided if this is the aspect of student affairs that I should make my career in, but I know that I have the personality for it and the dedication.

The rejuventation process of the summer has already started. I find myself going out more, watching tv a whole lot more, and actually paying attention the cleanliness (or lack of it) in my apartment. I'll say goodbye to friends, start making new ones, and prepare for year number two. With any luck by the time training starts again I will have found my new place within the department, and a new motivation to work in student affairs.

No comments: